*Photos by Rebecca
I saw this recipe for “Skewered Greek Salad,” or as I call it, “Greek Salad Skewers,” in Self magazine, that was originally taken from Giada DeLaurentis on Giada at Home on the Food Network. I remembered seeing it and thinking it would be an easy and fun appetizer idea, so I looked it up to make it for a dinner I was invited to that was held last night. Although I made about 35 skewers, only 10 were left, so I’m pretty sure they were crowd-pleasers. And, I was a fan, so I’m Rebeccammending it to you as an appetizer idea, and for green entertaining since it’s a no-bake recipe, and the bamboo skewers are environmentally friendly!
- 2 packages of Grape Tomatos
- 1 package of Feta Cheese (block, not crumbled, so you can cube it)
- Bamboo or wood skewers (I found mine in the fish department at Whole Foods–just ask a WF employee)
- PITTED kalamata or black olives (it’s a little tough to find pitted kalamata olives, but that would be difficult to put on a skewer :))
- Fresh oregano (can be found in produce section of grocery store)
- 2 Cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Slice cucumbers into 1/2 inch-thick rounds, then quarter them.
- Cube the feta cheese block into 1/4-1/2-inch cubes (thick enough to slide onto the skewer)
- String a tomato, a cucumber piece, a feta cube, an olive, and another tomato onto a skewer
- Repeat for as many skewers as desired.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Red Wine Vinegar, Olive Oil, and lemon juice for the dressing
- Pull the oregano leaves off of the stem, and dice into small pieces, adding to the dressing mixture
- Place the skewers on a plate (if serving as a separate salad course at a small dinner gathering, or on a large serving platter if for a large party).
- Drizzle dressing over the skewers.
- Serve, pick up a skewer and enjoy!
*Note: Be cautious when transporting the serving platter to your destination, if not at your house. The dressing could spill off the plate, so wrap tightly in saran wrap.