Every morning, I awake to my phone’s alarm just an arm’s length away on my bedside table. Usually with eyes still closed, I reach out my hand, pick up my “Raspberry” (it’s red), and scan the emails that have found their way to my inbox while I was dreaming. Lately, one such email from a certain sender appears in my inbox every morning, only, it has a different subject each time, and each day, my curiosity grows.
The message features a daily deal, called a Groupon. It is appropriately named, since enough people have to express interest in the coupon to be able to pay for and redeem it. To learn more about how it works, click here to watch a short video. Many deals include a type of gift certificate–$35 for a $65 value, for example, very similar to Restaurant.com specials. But, these so-called Groupons feature deals at all types of goods and services businesses around town.
Since I signed up about two weeks ago, I anxiously await the next day’s deal in hopes that I will grab a coupon for a business I am interested in, save some $, and do something entertaining while redeeming my Groupon around Austin. The following businesses have had a daily deal featured by Groupon since I subscribed to receive emails:
- Woodland-$25 for $50 worth of food
- Delish Cupcakes– $15 for $35 worth of cupcakes
- Just for Fun Boat Rentals– $40 for one hour boat rental ($70 value)
- Mangia Pizza– $15 for a medium, Chicago-style pizza ($22 value)
- Aquarelle– $30 for $60 worth of food
- Greenling Organic Groceries– $25 for $50 worth of organic grocery home-delivery
- Cookie Lounge– $20 for 3 dozen cookies ($42 value)
- Pure Nails Natural Nail Studio– $35 for Mani-Pedi ($60 value)
- Trapeze Experience– $38 for trapeze lessons ($75 value) *Check out my friend David’s trapeze experience on video here!
and my favorite, and the first Groupon I have splurged on, saved on, and will be endulging on…
House Wine – $20 for $40 worth of food and wine.
So, go on. Sign up for daily Groupon emails here. If you are a business owner and would like your business to feature a Groupon daily deal, click here! (Business owners–you only pay for your advertisement if the set minimum chooses to buy your bargain, so it’s a win-win!)
Groupon is also featured in Houston, Dallas, and over 15 other major cities. It began offering coupons in Austin in 2008.