One of my blog goals is to keep you informed about entertainment news around Austin. Sometimes, news comes and goes so quickly, I can’t write about it fast enough. I guess that’s why news is called…news. It’s hard to keep news, news, before the next exciting tidbit pops up in my inbox or I see something new adding even more character to our diverse central Texas landscape. Here’s some news related to entertaining and staying entertained in this fabulous city I’ve wanted to share with you over the past few weeks:
- ‘Dillo’s Done. If you used the ‘Dillo to get around town, you’ll have to find alternate modes of transportation. Cap Metro has cancelled all routes of ‘Dillo trolleys. Could be the quirkiness of naming a vehicle of mass transit after a geographically-representative creature–and abbreviating it, or the familiarity of seeing them ride up and down Congress, but I do find the ‘Dillo death sad. Find more info here.
- Sprouts Farmers Market opens in Austin! Arizona-based natural foods retailer, opened three stores in our area in September–one in Round Rock (110 N. Interstate 35), one in Sunset Valley (5601 Brodie Lane), and one on Bee Caves. Find out more info here!
- Alamo Drafthouse Brings 1960’s-inspired Bowling Alley and Karaoke Bar to South Austin! Bowling alley/diner/karaoke bar complete with dance floor and performance stage will keep Alamo Drafthouse creativity-lovers entertained! HighBall soft-opened on September 24th, so check it out! Find more info about this funky fun house here.
- Zoës Kitchen Opens This Week (10/7/09) in the Arboretum! Alabama-based Mediterranean-inspired restaurant serving up casual dining, catering, and brings it’s custom-made Austin menu to North Austin (10000 Research Boulevard, near the Renaissance Hotel). Visit their website for more info.
- Bona Dea Bread can be eaten at Blue Dahlia Cafe! Back in April, I came across local baker, Lauren Hubele, bakeress at Bona Dea Bread, who had planned to sell her delicious breads at Cafe Caffeine. However, a series of events took her in a different direction. Now, she is still baking breads, but taking wholesale accounts, and will be supplying breads to one of my favorite East Austin cafes, Blue Dahlia Bistro!
- Dress Shop Features Coffee and Cookie Breaks on Tuesdays in October from 2-5 PM! If you work downtown and you’re a lady, or a man looking for a gift for a lady, take an afternoon break and stop by Dress Shop at 315 Congress (the entry is shared by Kyoto and Elephant Room). local Kohana Coffee and bites will be provided by Cissi’s Market while you browse the latest dress selections and sale rack!
That’s about it for this list of recent entertainment news tidbits. Stay tuned… (or shall I say, “stay read”)