I saw this easy shmeezy and oh-so-fun dessert recipe in February of 2009 in Real Simple, filed it away in the back of my mind, and took it out last weekend when hosting a Finger Foods themed dinner. You even make them with your fingers and they’re so delicious, you may just skip the cooling part and just take them straight from dipping to devouring! The recipe calls for pistachios, coconut, or graham crackers, but I went with the crushed grahams (a sort of deconstructed s’more) and crushed candy canes to be a little more festive this holiday season.
- 12 marshmallows
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 3 tablespoons toppings (such as chopped pistachios, shredded coconut, and crumbled graham crackers)
* For easy crumbling, place graham crackers and mini candy canes in separate zip-loc baggies. Place on a flat, non-fragile surface such as a wooden cutting board, floor, or kitchen table. Pound with the back of a spoon until you have finely ground toppings.
- Dip half of each marshmallow in the melted chocolate, letting the excess drip off, then place on a foil or parchment paper cookie sheet, then sprinkle with your desired toppings — must sprinkle as you dip, while they’re still wet so the topping will stick.
- Serve immediately or chill until firm, about 20 minutes.
*I Rebeccammend serving on my fancy platter made of a clear plastic rectangular or circular plate superglued to the base of a plastic martini glass. Then, adorn with faux white poinsettias from a crafts store for an extra wintry touch.